Friday, January 2, 2015

Zephaniah: An Unlikely Book (Part 2)

In my last post, I wrote about the paralells between the judgments in Zephaniah and the story of Christ. I want to revisit Zephaniah again today as we begin a new year.

Before you start groaning about how long my last post was, let out a sigh of relief: this one will be shorter. If you want to read something even shorter, go read Zephaniah itself. It only contains three chapters, but they are all so packed with the character of God.

The first two chapters of this Old Testament book are fantastic, but the really good stuff is in chapter 3.  This is where the redemption happens.

We pick up in 3:9, where the prophet continues to describe the day of wrath, the day when Jesus died. The Lord says that, on that day, "all the earth shall be consumed" by "the fire of my jealousy" (v. 8). In other words, Zephaniah is prophesying a day when the earth will be revolutionized by a love that consumes all and destroys everything in its path to the beloved... God's love, which is stronger than death (Song of Solomon 8:6).

For at that time I will change the speech of the peoples to a pure speech,
that all of them may call upon the name of the Lord
    and serve him with one accord.
From beyond the rivers of Cush
    my worshipers, the daughter of my dispersed ones, 
shall bring my offering.

On that day you shall not be put to shame, 
    because of the deeds by which you have rebelled against me (v. 9-11).
    
God's heart is not after just worship, but rather the hearts of His worshipers.

He continues:

But I will leave in your midst a people humble and lowly.
They shall seek refuge in the name of the Lord,
   those who are left in Israel;
they shall do no injustice and speak no lies,
nor shall there be found in their mouth a deceitful tongue.
For they shall graze and lie down,
    and none shall make them afraid. (v. 12-13).

That's us, guys. I think this passage is not a list of "to-dos" for Christians. It's a description of who we naturally are in Christ. When we are walking in His Spirit, we naturally speak blessing and encouragement, we are naturally full of humility, and we are never afraid.

If you are afraid and speaking those fears at the beginning of this new year, don't feel condemned. You just have to remember that that's not who you are. I know that, as adults, we have things in our lives that cause everything from concern to terror to absolute panic. Life is full of scary things when you can only see what is in front of you. So I know that it isn't an easy thing to hear "just trust God" when it looks like Goliath is standing in front of you, ready to deliver the death blow.

But....there's Jesus. You're a sheep who belongs to the Good Shepherd, and because He cares for you and protects you, you don't have to be afraid (Psalm 23). That includes everything. Nothing has the right to make you afraid. Literally: nothing. He is bigger than the thoughts that cause your heart to stop, or the worries that keep you up at night.

And Zephaniah goes on into one of the most victorious passages of scripture.

Sing aloud, O daughter of Zion; 
    shout, O Israel!
Rejoice and exult with all your heart,
    O daughter of Jerusalem!
The Lord has taken away the judgments against you;
    he has cleared away your enemies.
The King of Israel, the Lord, is in your midst;
    you shall never again fear evil (v. 14-15).

When will you fear evil again?...Never. "Never" is a pretty serious word. Kind of like "forever"--the time we now get to spend with the Father because Jesus made a way for us to enter the throne room.

We are instructed to rejoice and exult with ALL of our hearts--not just the parts that don't belong to fear and sin. Why? Because the King of Israel is in our midst, and he has taken away the judgments against us. Jesus came to earth to be with us. In His death, He cleansed us from all sin. In taking away sin, He not only made us righteous sons and daughters of the Most High God, He cleansed us from all fear of sin (including fear of our own failures).

If you believe that Jesus is the Son of God, if you're a Christian, you don't have to sit here reading this and wish you were cleansed and free. You ARE cleansed and free! He is with you! He has removed the judgments from you and made you so clean that He is pleased to walk alongside you in close communion.

Relax. Your God is with you.

What's more:

On that day it shall be said to Jerusalem:
"Fear not, O Zion;
    let not your hands grow weak.
The Lord your God is in your midst,
    a mighty one who will save;
he will rejoice over you with gladness;
    he will quiet you by his love;
he will exult over you with loud singing. 
I will gather those of you who mourn for the festival,
    so that you will no longer suffer reproach.
Behold, at that time I will deal with all your oppressors.
And I will save the lame and gather the outcast,
and I will change their shame into praise 
    and reknown in all the earth (v. 16-17)

I don't know about you, but that sounds like a party I want to be at. Good thing we're already there.

Zephaniah is speaking of today--right now, the time after Christ has been risen from the dead. We are the blessed people who were born into the era of Jesus' kingdom. This is not some far-off day. Yes, He's coming back...but let's not forget that He is already risen.

AND, right this very moment, He is exulting over you with LOUD singing! This isn't some dull humming...this is full-lung-power shouting, in the most beautiful voice ever heard.

When I feel that there is a reason for me to feel shame or reproach, when I forget who I am, I like to get myself back on track by imagining Jesus rejoicing over me in a freestyle dance party. This is especially uplifting if you are listening to techno worhsip music.

I don't care what tries to scare you this year. Tell it to leave you alone, because your King is throwing a party in your honor.

The last verse of Zephaniah speaks of expectancy:

"At that time I will bring you in,
    at the time when I gather you together;
for I will make you renowned and praised
    among all the peoples of the earth,
when I restore your fortunes
    before your eyes," says the Lord (v. 20).

I want to live the kind of life that makes the name of Jesus renowned in all the earth. I want to see miracles, breakthrough, and redemption daily--for myself and others. And my prayer for you this year is the same. I pray that we will be a people who are not resigned to fear and complacency, but that we will press in and press through the door to the festival, where we are already invited and the party is already happening, because the greatest victory has already occurred.

I want to encourage you to be expectant for 2015. He can change your fortunes before your eyes. If you have always wished you could "be more spiritual" or "experience more of Him," go for it. Ask Him how to draw nearer. He is in your midst, and He wants to get even closer.

My friend prayed for us today that we will "always choose hope." I pray that that's the theme for all Christians in the new year. Buckle your seatbelt, pop in the Jesus Culture remix, slam the gas pedal, and don't look back!

Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment