Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Gimme that Gospel

I have been listening to gospel music lately. (If you haven't made a Israel Houghton Pandora station, DO IT.) Even non-Christians listen to gospel because of it is so exciting and moving. You can call it emotionalism or whatever you want, but the fact is that, if it's done right by people who really have a heart of worship, gospel music brings a spirit of joy that can be felt even by people who don't know the Lord.

If you know me, which most of you do, you know that I spent a lot of time in graduate school studying American slavery. (Why I would pick such a depressing subject to specialize in, I don't know.) It occurred to me this week that one of the reasons gospel music is so moving is because it is a genre created by people who understood the meaning of freedom. Even during the restrictive and horrific times of Jim Crow laws and government-approved African-American oppression, gospel music was a way for a disadvantaged people group to find purpose. It was a constructive outlet for intense emotions. In addition to that--and this is the reason I've been listening to it this week--gospel music is appealing because it communicates dogged resilience and stubborn perseverance. It's laughing in the face of oppression; it's flagrant rebellion against the lies of a relentless enemy; it's running out in front of an oncoming army and screaming like a madman with the kind of boldness even William Wallace would admire.

Honestly, it's borderline ballistic. But the reason there is an under-melody of joy in gospel music is because it is sung from a position of victory. It is sung by people who have stepped into the light of freedom from a place of intense bondage. They know what slavery is, and they are NOT going back.

Christians of all backgrounds: this is our story.

"For you did not receive the spirit of slavery to fall back into fear, but you have received the spirit of adoption as sons, by whom we cry, 'Abba! Father!'"-- Romans 8:15

We were all captivated and held hostage by sin until Jesus came and liberated us (Isaiah 61:1). As people who are free, we should be unstoppable, walking in the authority of sons and daughters. We have the keys to Dad's house in our pockets.

But I think that many of us (well, all of us at some point) think like the Israelites after they were liberated from Egypt.

"'...I will bring you into the land that I swore to give to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob. I will give it to you for a possession. I am the Lord.' Moses spoke thus to the people of Israel, but they did not listen to Moses, because of their broken spirit and harsh slavery."--Exodus 6:8-9

All human beings are born into slavery. We are all born into a culture, an onslaught of mindsets, a fallen world that breaks spirits until we submit to slavery. Gospel music emphasizes freedom from slave mentalities that color every thought and action of our daily lives. I think that's why it touches even unbelievers: because they, too, have experienced slavery.

Jesus wore a crown of thorns so that your slave mentality could be redeemed. But sadly, we as Christians are often more content to wander in the wilderness, with a victim mentality and without an identity, eating manna the rest of our lives, than enter the promised land. We've been so brainwashed by the slave master that we can't conceive of a victory that has already been won.

How many of you know: if you're in Christ, you are more than a conqueror simply based on His victory (Romans 8:37). If you still see yourself as a slave or victim, it's in your mind.

I'm not knocking anybody for this, because this week has been an exercise in breaking every thought that comes from fear. I asked the Lord to give me discernment about thoughts that move me deeply, lead me down rabbit trails in my mind, or influence my behavior. If they are thoughts that come from slavery, from fear, they get thrown on a bonfire. If they are a thought from or about Jesus, they get to stay.

There really are only those two choices for any thought in my mind that is deeper than what I'll eat for breakfast or brushing my teeth. Jesus or fear. I'm not over-analyzing every thought (Lord knows I've had enough analyzation)--I've asked for divine discernment from the Spirit of God. And He shows me the origin of the thought before I finish thinking it. It's that simple: keep it or burn it, and go on your merry way. It's so incredibly freeing that it makes me want to sing gospel music from my rooftop.

God created me (and you) to be fearless. This is a kind of fearlessness beyond "having fear and continuing anyway." It's kingdom boldness. It is to literally be without fear in everything because the love of God casts out every consideration but Himself (1 John 4:18). Slaves are afraid; followers of Christ are without fear. I want that so badly. But I can't embrace that identity if I'm agreeing with and submitting to the slave master of fear.

It's not easy to submit your thought life to God. To be honest, I've been holding onto it all this time because--like a true slave--I felt like it was the one thing I could control. But in reality, it was controlling me. In my thoughts, fear was able to creep in and influence my behavior. Worse, it was hijacking my identity, because I hoarded my mind and didn't allow God in. The enemy was able to accuse me of the very things I was afraid to be accused of.

It takes good friends to remind you that broken spirit and harsh slavery are not your identity. Fear is not your identity. It took several people in my life (as resistant as I am) to remind me that I don't have to let fear influence my thought patterns. A good friend (or sibling...thanks, little bro) will tell you, "Your thoughts are, like, ridiculous psycho. Better look at what's motivating that. Hello, you're not a slave."

There were actually slaves after the Civil War who weren't aware that they were free because they were so isolated. They continued to submit to a life of slavery just because no one told them the good news.

I'm telling you today. Jesus has already freed you. The only weapon the devil has is to convince you that you're still a slave. Ask for discernment of your thoughts, because Jesus will surely break every chain in His name.

No comments:

Post a Comment